Pidgin is an all in one instant messenger. Formerly known as Gaim but because AOL’s instant messenger (AIM) has similar name, they’d to change the name and they chose Pidgin. By all in one instant messenger, I mean that it supports and allows you to login to multiple networks, i.e. using Pidgin only you can access and chat with your friends on Yahoo messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and lot others. Lets look at the PROS and CONS of Pidgin. We know that it has got one huge benefit, that it is a all in one messenger but is it good or not, lets find that out :
PROS of Pidgin :
1. All in one instant messenger : This is the best feature of Pidgin as you can log in to multiple networks at one go. This not only saves you from installing multiple softwares but saves memory too. As you just have to run one software instead of all the messengers. It supports Yahoo, Windows Live Messenger, AIM, ICQ, Jabber, Gadu Gadu, IRC (these being the popular ones) and many more.
2. Less Memory Usage : Pidgin uses around 24 Mb of memory and considering the fact that it is the only software which you’ve to run for chat and not multiple softwares. This saves lots and lots of memory and people like me will certainly find it very useful.
3. Extend-able through plugins : Pidgin gets better with the help of various plugins and that gives boost to this program’s profile too. Any program which can be extended is always better than the ones which can’t have plugins. So, if you are missing a feature in Pidgin, then you can always look for a plugin for it (although you may not find the one, which you want but chances are you’ll find one or there will be one under development…always think positive).
CONS of Pidgin :
1. Not so impressive interface : The interface of the software is really not impressive. Developers have tried to keep it as simple as they could but it is not the easiest of all too. One has to spend some time with this software, in order to ensure that the person can access all its features.
2. No support for audio or video : Pidgin doesn’t have any functionality where one can make use of VoIP features of the networks or the video conferencing of the networks. This is a real big negative of pidgin. Even there is no plugin for the same.
Overall rating & views :
Pidgin is a multiple network supporting messenger with the basic functionalities and a product which heavily depends on its plugins. Pidgin can be useful for those users who are not into all those frills and who are not interested in the audio and video functionalities but want a messenger which can support many networks. If that’s your requirement then its definitely worth a try but you may not like the interface too.
Links : Pidgin Homepage