Some time back, I wrote the review of Pandora Recovery which was a free software for recovering the data. This time around I reviewed another data recovery software which is specifically for Windows based file systems.
The software is Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery and as the name suggests that it is specifically for Windows based computers I.e. it can recover data from windows based file systems only. Let’s look at the PROS and CONS of this data recovery software.
PROS of Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery :
1. Covers all the windows based file systems : Stellar Phoenix covers FAT16, FAT32, VFAT, NTFS and NTFS5 file system. That means it pretty much covers all the windows operating systems too, from Windows 95 to Windows Vista. It also allows you to recover the data from compressed NTFS drives or individually compressed files.
2. RAW File Recovery of up to 300 file formats and RAW camera format files : Stellar Phoenix can try and recover the files in RAW format from seriously damaged hard drives. There are cases where the file system attributes don’t let you open the files, but when you recover the files in RAW format then you have some chances of getting the data back and Stellar helps in recovering the RAW data from over 300 files.
3. Recover files from an image : Another place where it does the task well is that it lets you create the image of the badly damaged hard disks and then lets you recover the data from those images in much fast and convenient way.
4. Preview the files before recovering them : You’ll see that many files will have strange name while you are trying to recover them and you’ll not come to know what exactly that file was because it doesn’t have that familiar name. However, thanks to the preview feature which lets you preview that file and then helps you in making the decision if you need that file or not.
5. Explorer like interface gives ease of use : Stellar Phoenix has two pane interface and on the left it has tree like structure which lets you go through the folders and on the right pane it shows you the content and because this interface is so common then the ease of use increases a lot. File mask, File filter also helps you refine your search results so that you can reach to the desired files in much quicker ways.
6. Recover files to FTP server, network drives or external media : This feature impressed me most as it gives you the option of storing the recovered files in every possible manner. FTP upload feature allows you to store the files in remote locations, network drives allows you to store the files in another computer in same network and local hard disk and external media (like USB drives) is also there.
7. Support options : This has to be the best thing of stellar as they provided free technical support to its customers which is 24×5 (24 hrs. from Monday to Friday). There is Live Chat service available and phone support too.
CONS of Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery :
None : I really couldn’t think of any negative and because they have such huge set of features I think no one will every complain too.
Software Version & Summary :
Version : 184.108.40.206
Licence : Free to try; $ 99 to buy (buy now)
Limitations : Lets you only preview the content
Home Page : Stellar Information Systems Data Recovery
OS Required : Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista
Overall Review & Views :
Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery is for those who are seriously looking for some data recovery software which is powerful and full of features. The software has everything which one can ask from any data recovery software. I’m personally pretty much satisfied with the performance it gave.